Harbor Freight US General Toolbox 44″ Roller Cabinet Review
Let me start by saying I’m not a fan of Harbor Freight tools, and the fact that I purchased their US General 44″ roller cabinet was something of a choice I didn’t expect. So how did I arrive at this decision then? There were a few factors. To begin with, friends informed me the US General brand toolboxes are a great value for the money. Online forums and Reddit agreed.
Because of my previous employment position, I had experience with the latest Craftsman, Kobalt, and Milwaukee toolboxes. This experience helped me make an informed decision.
I will be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if all these toolbox brands came from the same Chinese factory. They seem to have many similarities in construction. That being said, the US General turned out to be the only choice for me. I like the size and quantity of drawers, the add-on side cabinets, and the top chest. The rubber mat on the top and the drawer liners add to the “value” of its toolbox. The 44″ width and two-column drawer layout fit my needs perfectly. I will also admit to liking the color choice options, particularly the blue.
To be continued…
Harbor Freight US General Toolbox Drawer Slide
The US General drawer slides are sufficient, and they move smoothly. However, do not believe for one second that they compare to a Snap-On or equivalent. Harbor Freights comparison is silly. Keep in mind unless you have very heavy tools that require a Snap-On professional level toolbox, the US General is probably more than adequate.
US General 44″ Toolbox Dimensions
I hate that online dimensions are often inaccurate. Below are the actual measured dimensions of my US General 44 inch roller cabinet.
US General 44″ Cabinet Dimensions
- Cabinet Width Excluding Handle – 42″
- Cabinet Width Handle Installed – 44.5″
- Cabinet Height to Top – 39″
- Cabinet Height to Top Lip – 39.75″ (on the sides and rear edge)
- Cabinet Depth – 22″
- Wheel Height – 6″
US General 44″ Drawer Dimensions
- Top Drawer Width Internal – 36.75″
- Top Drawer Width (Between the side lips) – 36.5″
- Top Drawer Height – 4.25″
- Top Drawer Depth – 19.625″
Left Side Drawers
- (5) Left Drawer Width (Internal) – 22.25″
- (5)Left Drawer Width (Between the side lips) – 22″
- (5)Left Drawer Height – 2.25.”
- (5)Left Drawer Depth – 19.625.”
- (1) Bottom Left Drawer Width (Internal) – 22.25″
- (1)Left Drawer Width (Between the side lips) – 22″
- (1) Bottom Left Drawer Depth – 19.625.”
- (1) Bottom Left Drawer Height- 5.5″
Right Side Drawers
- (5) Right Drawer Width (Internal) – 12.25″
- (5) Right Drawer Width (Between the side lips) – 12″
- (5) Right Drawer Height – 2.25″
- (5) Right Drawer Depth – 19.625.”
- (1) Bottom Right Drawer Width (Internal) – 12.25″
- (1) Bottom Right Drawer Width (Between the side lips) – 12″
- (1) Bottom Right Drawer Height- 5.5″
- (1) Bottom Right Drawer Depth – 19.625″
Harbor Freight US General Toolbox 44″ Roller Cabinet Details
This Harbor Freight 44 inch US General Toolbox Roller Cabinet is an industrial-grade roller cabinet designed, tested, and built to last. This double bank unit has full extension drawer slides with double slides on the large drawers. With 14,000 cu. in. of storage available, the double bank drawer configuration with 13 drawers gives you the flexibility to organize a wide variety of tools with narrow, wide, and extra-wide drawer options. The industrial powder coat finish is durable, easy to clean, and looks great in any garage.
- High capacity, full-extension ball-bearing drawer slides. Double slides on large drawers.
- All welded steel construction
- Industrial powder-coated finish resists rust
- Secure detents keep drawers closed
- Heavy-duty 5 in. casters – 2 fixed and 2 locking swivel
- Non-slip pre-cut drawer liners in all drawers
- Barrel lock keeps your tools safe and secure
Harbor Freight US General Toolbox 44″ Roller Cabinet Specifications
- SKU(s) – 64281, 64133, 64134
- Brand – U.S. GENERAL
- Drawer Slide Type – ball bearing
- Accessories Included – chrome-plated steel handle, 2 keys, 13 fitted drawer liners, and 13 drawer labels.
- Caster size – 5 inches.
- Casters – 2 fixed and 2 locking swivel
- Colors – Red, Blue, Black, Orange, Yellow, Green
- Number of Drawers – 13
- Material – Steel
- Maximum Working Load (lbs.) – 2600 pounds.
- Product Height – 40 inches.
- Product Length – 41-3/4 inches.
- Product Weight – 291 pounds.
- Product Width – 22 inches.
- Shipping Weight – 339.00 pounds.
- Size – 44 inches.
- Volume14,000 cubic inches.
Review: Harbor Freight US General 44" Toolbox $499
The $499 Harbor Freight, U.S General 44 In. X 22 In. Double Bank Roller Cabinet Toolbox offers great value for its quality construction, size, and capacity. No other toolbox of a similar dimension suited my needs. Buyers just need to be aware the shipping cost adds about $150 to the total cost. Harbor Freight shipping options could be improved. When ordering, be sure your destination can satisfy the delivery needs. Plan on a few bodies to help, the unit weighs 350 pounds.
- Solid Construction
- Ample storage
- Smooth drawer slides with reasonable capacity
- Includes drawer liners and top mat
- Heavy-duty casters
- Fair price (before shipping)
- Comparing it to a Snap-On toolbox is misleading
- $150 shipping cost
- Delivery requirements can be a hassle
- Not available in store and no ship to store option